This car came to us in 2005. It had been in storage in Canada since 1948 so although mostly complete, was in need of thorough restoration.
The car was stripped of its mechanics and reconstruction of the ash frame began. Although dry stored for many years, woodworm and dry rot had attacked the framework.
Once the woodwork was complete the cladding of the frame was next. While a lot of the steelwork was solid, a lot of damage had occurred over the years. This meant much steelwork had to be remanufactured for the old metal could not be reworked.
While the steelwork was being carried out the restoration of the chassis and mechanics was well under way. The chassis was sandblasted and painted, along with the suspension components. All new bushes and pivot pins were manufactured in house for all the suspension mounting points. Original shock absorbers were re-valved and restored and the braking system completely overhauled finalising the restoration of the chassis.
The engine, gearbox and rear axle were next. With very little of the parts available many parts had to manufactured. Original big end and main bearings were re-white metaled, new pistons made and camshaft restored. Every external component was polished, plated or painted with great attention to detail.
Once the body was finished and the paintwork had been completed the reassemble began. A new wiring harness was created in house then sent for binding in authentic fabric. The new handmade dash was fitted with restored original clocks and dials.
The restored drivetrain was fitted along with the re-chromed bright work. The final part of the restoration was the trim. As little of the trim was with the car, much research had to be carried out to get it just right.